Internet Usage Statement:
Educationalists believe in the benefits of Curriculum Internet use.
The purpose of this AUP (Acceptable Usage Policy) is to ensure that pupils will benefit from learning opportunities offered by the school’s internet resources, and will be protected from harmful and illegal use of the Internet.
The school will employ a number of strategies to maximise learning opportunities and reduce risks associated with the Internet.
These strategies are as follows:
- Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP)
If a pupil deliberately misuses the Internet or Email, this will result in disciplinary action including the withdrawal of access privileges. Parents/guardians will receive written notification of misuse by a pupil.
ACCEPTABLE INTERNET USAGE POLICY FOR STAFF AND STUDENTS
- Internet will be used by the school community for Educational Purposes only.
- Student Internet sessions will always be supervised by a teacher.
- Students will seek permission before entering any Internet site, unless previously approved by a teacher.
- Filtering software will be used to minimise the risk of exposure to inappropriate material.
- The teachers of information technology and subject teachers using the internet will always monitor students’ internet usage.
- Students will receive instruction from their teachers in the area of Internet Safety.
- Students will be taught to evaluate the content of Internet sites.
- Teachers must be aware of Internet Safety issues.
- Uploading and downloading of non-approved material is prohibited.
- Virus protection software will be used and updated on a regular basis.
- The use of external floppy disks, external storage devices or CD-ROMS in school is prohibited to prevent PC/laptop virus infection.
- Staff and students will observe good “netiquette” (etiquette on the Internet) at all times and will not undertake any action that may bring a school into disrepute.
N.B. Email will be used for Educational purposes only.
- Students will only use approved class email accounts under supervision by or permission from a teacher.
- Staff and students will not send or receive any material that is illegal, obscene, and defamatory or that is intended to annoy or intimidate another person.
- Staff and students will not send text messages to or from school email.
- Staff and students will not reveal their own or other people’s personal details e.g. addresses, telephone numbers, or pictures via school email.
- Students will never arrange to meet someone via school email.
- Students sending or receiving email attachments is subject to teacher permission.
Staff and students are not permitted to use Internet Chat Rooms on school PCs/laptops.
- Designated teachers will manage the publication of material on the school website.
- Personal student information, home addresses and contact details will not be published on the school website.
- Class lists will not be published.
- Students’ full names will not be published beside their photograph.
- Digital photographs, video clips and audio clips will for the most part focus on groups and group activities rather than on individual students.
- Students will be given an opportunity to publish projects, artwork or school work on the school Website.
- Teachers will select work to be published and decide on the appropriateness of such.
- Permission to publish a student’s work will be sought from students/parents/guardians at the beginning of the school year. This permission may be withdrawn at any time.
- Students will continue to own the copyright on any work published.