We are committed to the promotion of healthy eating and good nutrition for the whole school community. By developing a positive attitude to healthy eating it is believed that healthy eating habits learned in school will be continued throughout life.
Benefits of Healthy Eating
- Helps students to perform at their full potential during the school day.
- May help to reduce the developing of many health problems both in adolescence and later on in life.
- Encourages young people to consider the food they consume and seek out healthy options and a balanced diet.
- Low sugar intake promotes concentration, lessens hyperactivity, protects teeth and lessens the risk of diabetes.
- Low salt intake reduces the risk of heart disease later in life.
- Low saturated fat intake reduces the risk of obesity and eating disorders.
- Sandwiches, Rolls, Wraps or Pitta Bread with a variety of healthy fillings.
- Fruit, Vegetable sticks or Dried Fruit.
- Crackers, Rice Cakes or Scones.
- Popcorn or Snack a Jack.
- Pure Fruit Juice
- Yogurt Drinks
Responsibility of Students
- To adhere to the food and drinks recommended.
- To take responsibility for preparing his/her own lunch and using a lunchbox.
- To dispose of any leftovers or waste in the bins provided within the school.
Responsibilities of Teachers
- To continue to use the curriculum to increase pupil knowledge regarding nutrition and healthy eating benefits.
- To promote a positive attitude towards healthy eating right across the curriculum and not only in the classes which have a direct input namely Home Economics, SPHE and Science but throughout the school programme
- When and where possible to support students in developing a health-enhancing attitude and behaviour.
Responsibilities of Parents
- To support the schools Healthy Eating Policy by providing recommended food and drink for students lunches and snacks.
- Encourage students to be physically active.
- Encourage students to adhere fully to the Schools Healthy Eating Policy.
- Ask students not to waste or abuse food and to dispose appropriately of any waste wrappers/food.
The school shop/canteen will review its delivery of service to the school community within the above framework and will consult with staff, students, parents and relevant personnel in maintaining high standards and supporting healthy options.